Interesting Things to Collect
4th Aug 2014
One of the most rewarding hobbies a man can participate in can also be one of the simplest. Collecting any of a number of different objects can prove to be a challenging, engaging and exciting depending on what it is he sets out to collect.
Picking what it is you want to collect initially can be the hardest part of this hobby and to help you out here are a few suggestions to get you on your quest for collection:
- Watches – A go to classic item to collect is none other than the watch. Hundreds of years of watchmaking have provided those interested in its intricacies a vast quantity of product to discuss, purchase and obsess over. Accessories, history and quality are just a few of the aspects of watch collecting that a collector could spend a lifetime investigating.
- Coins – Another ancient item that is infinitely collectable is the coin. Used worldwide and for thousands of years, coins have been a favorite of collectors of all ages. Centuries of minting and hundreds of countries allow for an immensely large challenge to any coin collector seeking to amass a large and relatively comprehensive collection of this type.
- Sports Memorabilia – An obvious choice for collectors who happen to also be sports fanatics, aka every guy ever. Depending on your sport of choice you can collect pennants, balls, uniforms or any of a number of various objects. Depending on your fancy and financing you can acquire some pretty cool historical relics as well. Sport auctions can be a treasure trove to anyone looking to increase their collection.
- Historic Newsprint – For nostalgia and history buffs alike, news headlines from the past are something that spark interest in our minds. Old newspapers brandishing historic events as headlines have long been collectable and as time goes on any big news story will only become harder to find in print, thus becoming more valuable. The most collectable news stories come from the larger news outlets both in the country and worldwide.
- Classic Cars – Not necessarily for everyone due to the monetary constraints, car collecting is a long practiced hobby of the rich and famous. Nothing beats being able to pick from a wide selection of automobiles to take your sweetheart out for a joyride in.
- Alcohol – Scotch fanatic? Into the whiskey? Have an unused bar set just waiting to be taken advantage of? Collecting any of a variety of different alcohol types can provide quite the display. Not only do they look great sitting in a lit cabinet, but breaking your favorite bottles out to share with your friends is always hospitable.
No matter what you collect there is a community that will share in your interest. By getting involved with them you can help expand your knowledge and understanding of your own personal collection. Befriending those with a similar hobby is definitely rewarding and can help build bonds between you and your potential friends that are remarkably strong.